Founded in 1956, The University of South Florida(USF) is a public research university in Tampa, Florida. Today many students & teachers want to learn about USF Canvas and MyUSF Login & learning guide. So, we have created step by step guide to learn University of South Florida e-Learning system.
- What is MyUSF Canvas e-Learning
- Why USF Canvas learning is important
- Canvas Learning Process
- How to Login into USF Canvas?
- Canvas Login & Learn Quick Guide for USF
- What you can get as a result
- Canvas USF 2019 Update
- Canvas basic guide for new students
- Admin Guide to USF Canvas
- Canvas Instructor Guide
- USF Canvas Video Tutorial
- About University of South Florida
- People’s questions
- University of South Florida Canvas Reviews
What is USF Canvas
USF has moved into a new Learning Management System (LMS) called Canvas. On January 2nd, 2014, USF finished migration into the Canvas learning system.
USF Canvas also known as the USF e Learning system is an Open, intuitive cloud based learning management system developed for the students of University of South Florida. If you are a student through MyUSF Online, your course should be in Canvas.
Students and faculty utilize Canvas to view their course schedule, access their courses, and contact their instructors. Canvas can be accessed by logging into MyUSF.
Using Canvas USF, Student can create & manage profile, view their current courses on dashboard, import content from a previous semester’s Canvas course, can submit peer review assignment & many more in Canvas.
By Using Canvas e Learning, Students can get access to various education tools & services of USF Learning Management system. This platform encourage students & modernize their educational system.
For teachers, there are many helpful features at Canvas like Course creation, Grading System, Canvas Essentials, Assignments and Quizzes, Training Tools, Communication and Collaboration, Course Content.
Why Canvas MyUSF e Learning is important for students?
Canvas USF’s learning is important because it simplify the teaching and learning by connecting all the digital tools teachers use in one easy place.
MyUSF provides virtual workspaces for departments and individual workgroups to share and collaborate on various projects.
Using MyUSF Canvas e Learning, Student can learn anytime & anywhere. USF Canvas is working as platform between students and teachers to build the easy to use communication system.
Canvas is the university learning management system and the platform for all online courses.
Canvas USF help student finding the Course content and also help to find links to video lectures, assignments quizzes discussion and grades.
Also the canvas student mobile app allows students to quickly and easily access courses on mobile devices.
Student Benefits of USF Canvas
- Academic Support
- Access courses from anywhere & anytime
- Canvas learning makes easy for students
- Library Services
- Proactive approach to group work, sharing documents and hosting discussions all within the LMS
- Course Access and Grade Reporting
- Modern education system
- Complaint Resolution
- Online Orientation
- Calendar helps students stay organized, displaying assignments and due dates across all active courses.
- Quiz Statistics in Large Courses
- Can add their Syllabus
USF Canvas Learning Process
I hope you understood the importance of both University of South Florida & their Canvas Online Learning System from the information provided above.
You can access USF Canvas by going to the MyUSF portal site . After there, login with your NetID. When you’re logged in, you are able to get Canvas.
Now, I will guide you through step by step learning process of USF Canvas.
The main process is described in following three steps.
- Apply for your USF ID Card
- Activate your NetID
- Sign in to MyUSF
You can use your USF NetID to access a variety of password-protected information and resources. If you don’t have USF NetID, you have to create account to get the NetID.
Create an account to access USF Canvas
The NetID is the user ID in the university of south florida. Students, faculty, and staff are automatically eligible to get a NetID that enables you access to many different online services given by the whole university program.
Follow this instructions to create your account at MyUSF portal.
- In your preferred Web Browser, Navigate to https://netid.usf.edu
- Click on ‘Activate Your USF NetID’
- Enter your First Name & Last Name
- Fill up your USF ID# in the text-box provided. (Your USF ID# looks like U12345678). If you do not know your USF ID#, click the link ‘Lookup your USF ID Number’:
- Enter your Birthdate (mm/dd/yyyy) & Social Security Number in the box provided.
- Enter the security value displayed in the Captcha question box.
- Click ‘Submit’ Button
- Your USF ID# will be displayed. Please write down your USF ID# so you can enter it once you return to the previous page.
- Click on ‘Close USF ID Number Lookup’ in the upper left corner of dialogue window.
- Enter your USF ID#
- Fill your Date of Birth
- Enter your last 4 digits of your SSN
- Click on ‘Activate NetID’
- Read the USF Computer and Network Access Agreement; click on ‘I agree’
- Select a Net ID from the drop down menu. The NetID you select will be used as the prefix for your email address, so please choose carefully.
- Click on ‘Select this Net ID for Activation’
- From the drop down menu, select a ‘Secret Question’ and type your answer in the field provided. The secret question/answer is used to verify your identity if you ever forget your password.
- Click on ‘Submit your answer to your chosen secret question’
- Click on ‘Submit’ Button
- Set your password and retype it to verify. This password will be synchronized with your Active Directory/Domain (FOREST) password upon creation of your AD account, if applicable, based on your affiliation with USF.
- Click on ‘Submit your new USF NetID password’
Note that, only Enrolled Students, Student Applicants, Admitted Students, Current or Future Staff, Current, Future, or Retired Faculty, Current or Future Identified VIPs or Guests are eligible for UF Account.
Here is the resource link showing step by step guide and reference for above guide.
How to Login into USF Canvas?
After successful registration at University of South Florida MyUSF learning portal, Now it’s time to login at Canvas USF. If you want to access all features like to view their course schedule, access their courses, and contact their instructors & other programs.
You have to login into Canvas of USF learning platform with USF NetID & password that you can have during account registration process.
Here is the step by step guide to USF Canvas login, follow it and enjoy great experience.
1. Login through USF e-Learning website in browser
Canvas is now University of South Florida’s official Learning Management System (LMS). If you are taking an online class or a class with an online component, you will have access to log into MyUSF Canvas account.
Follow this process to login into MyUSF education portal.
- First, visit at learn.usf.edu to access login page of USF Canvas.
- This prompts you to log in with your USF NetID & password.
- Here you can enter your USF NetID & password.
- After successful logging into Canvas, you will be taken to your “User Dashboard,” where you can view their course schedule, access their courses, and contact their instructors.
If you forgot your password, reset your password by going to netid.usf.edu/una/?display=reset page and provide the required details like USF ID, Card ID, Birth Date and SSN.
After Successful login, users can do following
- View your Courses and Groups
- Fill & View your Profile
- Check out Course Notifications
- View your To-Do list
- View Conversation Messages
- Get Help with the Canvas App
2. Access USF Canvas from a mobile device
Canvas is built on open web standards and uses minimal instances of Flash, so most features are supported on mobile devices.
If you have an iOS or an Android mobile device, download the new Canvas app to access USF canvas from mobile device.
The Canvas USF app will simplify your learning and teaching needs by allowing you access your classes from anywhere. Nowadays you do not need to be in the front of your computer to interact with your program.
To access USF Canvas from mobile device, simply follow this instructions.
- Go to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and download the Canvas Application depending on your mobile device.
- After installing the app, open the Canvas Mobile App and search for “University of South Florida or USF”.
- Log in with your NetID and password
- You can also access Canvas using a mobile browser on your iOS or Android device.
- That’s done, now you can access canvas dashboard with all futures.
What you can get after login at University of South Florida Canvas online learning system
- Online & Continuing Education Login
- View your Profile
- You can check your grades
- View your To-Do list
- Can create a group discussion
- Online Course Listing
- Online & Continuing Education Information for Faculty & Students
- Post in course discussion boards
- View notification badges based on course updates and school announcements
- Calendar helps students stay organized, displaying assignments and due dates across all active courses.
- Student ability to use Canvas on a smartphone or tablet was a significant advantage.
- Canvas Support Re-Grading Question Types
Canvas USF Student Disability Services
USF Student Disability Services (SDS) and Innovative Education (InEd) partnered with the Tampa LightHouse for the Blind to Appraise Canvas Access, Special to the JAWS (screen reading software).
Within this test, two visually impaired students were asked to execute a set of common tasks inside a class developed by InEd particularly for entry testing.
The overall purpose of the evaluation were as below:
- Identify anything that can hinder a visually impaired student or stop a pupil from engaging in or obtaining portions of this program.
- Provide Instructure with the feedback so any required accessibility improvements can be made on the USF Canvas LMS.
USF Canvas 2019 Update
The below resource links will help keep you up to date on all upcoming USF Canvas changes, which occur every three weeks.
In Canvas, Specific changes are announced the week before in the Production Release notes. Follow these update at https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/releases
Also, they put most of their ‘in progress’ ideas to the Beta environment, available to anyone who is interested at https://usflearn.beta.instructure.com.
Canvas basic guide for new students
If you are new to USF Canvas, this is best starting point to learn canvas. If you read carefully and learn, this should be your best source of learning canvas.
- Where can I find a list of Canvas terminology?
- What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?
- Where do I find my institution’s URL to access Canvas?
- How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac?
- How do I login to USF e-Learning?
- What is the Admin role?
- What languages does Canvas support?
- How to clear my browser cache on a PC?
- What is the Designer role?
- What is the Teacher role?
- Which countries are restricted from using Canvas?
- What is the Student role?
- What is the Observer role?
- How do term dates, course dates, and section dates work in Canvas?
USF Canvas Admin Guide
Canvas have many great features available in their admin dashboard. So you have to understand each and every function properly of USF Canvas.
Here you can find some resource links to understand the Canvas admin dashboard.
- Admin Tools
- Accounts and Sub Accounts
- Attendance (Roll Call)
- Canvas Commons
- Canvas Data
- Courses and Sections
- External Apps (LTI)
- Field Admin Console – Classic Interface
- Field Admin Console – New Interface
- Global Navigation
- Profile & User Settings
- Question Banks
- Roles and Permissions
- SIS Imports
- Support Information
USF Canvas Instructor Guide
USF Canvas Instructor is one of the most important part you have to understand before starting canvas learning. Below is the link to complete step by step guide for canvas instructor.
Video Guide for Canvas USF
If you don’t like reading long paragraphs of text, Canvas also provide a complete video guide for students & teachers. Here I’m listing some topics that you can learn using USF Canvas Video Guide.
Canvas Student App
Canvas Parent App
Discussions Overview (Students)
Canvas Overview (Students)
Courses: Creation and Management (Instructors)
New Quizzes Overview (Students)
New Quizzes Overview (Instructors)
Account Registration and Student Pairing
New Gradebook Overview
Appears in 1 other place
Outcomes Overview (Instructors)
Notification Preferences (All Users)
Feedback Overview (Students)
Assignment Submissions (Students)
Collaborations Overview (Students)
Groups Overview (Students)
Visit this Video guide link for all video tutorial.
About University of South Florida (USF)
The University of South Florida is a Preeminent Research University located in the heart of Tampa Bay, It is dedicated to empowering students to maximize their potential for lifelong success.
USF is a member institution of the State University System of Florida. Founded in 1956, USF is the fourth-largest public university in the state of Florida, with an enrollment of 50,755 as of the 2018–2019 academic year
People’s questions about University of South Florida & Canvas
How to apply for your USF ID Card?
The USFCard (identification card) is a necessity for all distance learning students that are registered at the University of South Florida. To learn more visit their site at: http://www.usf.edu/it/class-prep/usf-card.aspx
Click this link and follow the directions to order your ID card online: https://usfweb.usf.edu/distance-learner-id-request/default.aspx
What is the average GPA at USF?
The average GPA at USF is 3.89. This makes USF Extremely Competitive for GPAs. With a GPA of 3.89, USF requires you to be near the top of your class, and well above average.
How to Activate my USF NetID?
The NetID is a safe login that is required to get the MyUSF Portal. To get your NetID, proceed to: https://netid.usf.edu/una/ and click “Activate my USF NetID”
- Enter your First and Last Names in the box provided.
- Click the primary identification item you wish to use.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- You will then be given your NetID and in the following step asked to create a password for your account.
Is USF orientation mandatory?
Yes, Orientation is mandatory for all new students in the University of South Florida System.
That’s done. Hope you enjoyed it.
In this post, I try to get you some genuine information about USF Canvas login & learning procedure. If you have any query or suggestions in mind, Speak your mind using following review form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!
University of South Florida Reviews
Submit your review
The Public Health Masters program at USF is wonderful. The professors are very knowledgeable and supportive in your degree and your future career. Please note this knowledge is over 10 years old, so some things may have changed. Attending USF itself can be quite frustrating as it is very large, though.
What I like about the University of South Florida is that it is really affordable. And the campus is beautiful, and the people their are really polite.